|Mattress type||Gel-infused memory foam|
|Trial period||30-day trial|
|Review by a real user||Unpacked the box in the bedroom and tipped it onto my bed. There is a little cutter provided to slice open the plastic. It plumped up quickly and I could sleep on it that night. No fumes whatsoever. I had the best night sleep I’ve had in months. Good support, easy on pressure points. on the firm side. I love this bed!|
LUCID is one of the most popular affordable mattress brands, and Lucid 10 inch gel memory foam mattress is one of the most popular products by this brand. It’s cheap (Lucid 10-inch full-size gel memory foam mattress costs only $250), it’s made of supportive material, it’s not as hot as you would expect from a memory foam mattress, it’s really comfortable (based on hundreds of reviews), and it’s quite easy on pressure points.
- Those who want to save money — Lucid 10-inch Queen-size plush gel memory foam antimicrobial mattress costs only $300
- Back sleepers — it’s exactly the firmness level most back sleepers prefer (medium/medium-firm) and this mattress provides quite good support
- Stomach sleepers — most stomach sleepers need support and pressure relief, and these are the strong sides of this mattress
- Side sleepers — the mattress is neither too soft nor too firm so in most cases it doesn’t create those uncomfortable pressure points
Not the best for:
- Plus-sized sleepers — they can sink into the mattress too much
- Those who have serious problems with night sweats and with thermoregulation. The cooling gel does its work properly, but it’s simply not enough for some hot sleepers.
Lucid 10-inch Twin-size gel memory foam mattress costs only $190, but it’s not even about the price. It’s as comfortable as a mattress under $500 could be, it’s medium-firm, and it provides a lot of support. What’s even more interesting, this mattress works well for hot sleepers — yes, it’s made of memory foam material, but it looks like Lucid has fixed the heat retention problem. It has good edge support, almost perfect motion isolation, and quite good pressure relief — which is a bit unusual, taking into account the price range. Let’s see if this mattress is really that perfect.
Comfort features and specialties of Lucid 10-inch gel memory foam mattress – dual-layered
It’s a memory foam mattress which means that obviously, it’s made of memory foam. However, not all memory foam mattresses are the same — for example, the material itself is always different, as well as the top layers that can make the mattress softer, firmer, or cooler. Let’s talk about these details.
So, this mattress consists of two layers:
- The lower one is a firm 7.5-inch base layer made of high-dense memory foam. It’s a base layer, the core of the mattress that provides support. Typically, when we’re talking about 12-16 inch mattresses, there are 1-3 transitional layers between the core and the upper layer, but that’s not the case for this 10-inch mattress — as we’ve said, it contains only 2 layers.
- The upper 2.5-inch layer (it’s called the “comfort layer”) consists of gel-infused memory foam. It’s a soft memory foam that provides comfort and contours to the body thus helping in relieving pressure points. This foam layer contains cooling gel that regulates temperature, which, in combination with the cooling Tencel cover, works perfectly for hot sleepers.
Firmness and thickness
When it comes to firmness, here’s what you should know: mattress firmness is very subjective and it always depends on personal preference. To understand what we’re talking about, find this mattress on Amazon and read the user reviews — one user says that she “found this mattress to be very plush”, another one says that this mattress is “stiff as a board”.
Actually, this Lucid 10-inch gel memory foam mattress is medium-firm, and this firmness level is preferred by the absolute majority of sleepers. Such mattresses typically provide both great support and good contouring, and this Lucid mattress is not an exception. It’s not extra firm and most users don’t feel like they’re sleeping on a rock; it’s not too soft so if you want to sink into the mattress, that’s probably not the best option for you.
This mattress is a happy medium (according to most users), it will most likely support your back properly, and it’s even more comfortable than expected from an affordable memory foam mattress.
Now let’s consider the thickness. As we’ve already said, it’s a 10-inch mattress which means it’s just not thick enough for some sleeping positions (like, for heavy side sleepers who simply need more cushioning than a 10-inch mattress can provide). If you are looking for a mattress for plus-sized sleepers, this Lucid product is also not what you need. In all the other cases, 10 inches will be enough.
Typically, memory foam mattresses have quite a good edge support, especially the ones that contain high-dense memory foam — so in theory, this Lucid mattress must have perfect edge support. In reality, it’s not that great.
The thing is, it’s 50/50. Some users say that it’s easy to sit down at the edge of the Lucid 10-inch gel memory foam mattress, but the others say that if you sit on the edges, they will sink and collapse. How’s that possible? We believe it depends on the weight of the user.
Lightweight and average-weight sleepers will probably have no problems with sleeping on the edges of this mattress, while for plus-sized sleepers, it will most likely feel too soft.
The manufacturer says that the mattress is designed to prevent the feeling of motion transfer, but let’s face it: it’s not about this particular mattress, it’s about memory foam — this material is extremely good at motion isolation. Still, this Lucid mattress doesn’t transfer motion, so you’ll sleep well even if your partner moves during the night or shifts positions.
Thanks to cooling gel, this mattress is much better in terms of heat retention than classic memory foam mattresses. However, it’s still not perfect — but it’s just how this material works, it retains body heat and that’s why this mattress can get hot at night.
If you have rare night sweats, this mattress will probably work well for you. If you suffer from this problem every night, you need another mattress (not memory foam).
According to most reviews, this mattress doesn’t aggravate pressure points, no matter what the sleeping position is. This Lucid mattress conforms to the body and supports the pressure points quite well. However, if you’re a plus-sized side sleeper, you might experience the pressure points problem — in this case, you need a thicker and softer mattress to avoid waking up sore and tired.
Ease of movement
Some people have difficulties with moving on a soft mattresses. Obviously, it will not be a problem if you buy a Lucid 10-inch gel memory mattress — it’s firm and it’s not sinkable, so you’ll be able to move on it and roll over it without any problems.
Compatibility with mattress bases
- Slatted bed base. This mattress can be used on this base without any problems. Just make sure the slats are no more than 4 inches apart.
- Box spring. This mattress will work great on a box spring. If you want to prevent sagging and add some height, this will be the best choice.
- Platform base. The mattress can be put on a platform bed, of course. However, some users say that it feels even firmer when installed on a platform.
- Adjustable base. The manufacturer says that this mattress works great on an adjustable bed base, so why not?
- Floor. It’s not recommended by the manufacturer to put a Lucid 10 inch gel infused memory foam mattress on the floor. It won’t affect the durability, but if the mattress is placed directly on the floor, it becomes extremely vulnerable to dust mites and bed bugs, which can be dangerous.
To sum up
Lucid 10-inch Queen-size gel memory foam mattress costs only $300 which is a perfect price for a quality mattress — but it hasn’t become that popular just because of its price. It’s quite comfortable, it’s firm, it provides a lot of support, and it’s even not as hot as most memory foam mattresses. Yes, it’s not perfect — thus, it’s certainly not the right mattress for those who prefer softness and it’s probably not the best choice for hot sleepers. But taking into account all the advantages, we can safely say that this Lucid mattress is 100% worth the money.
Yes, like any other mattress. Memory foam mattresses often have mold problems straight from the factory, but it looks like that’s not the case for Lucid. To avoid mold and mildew, keep your mattress dry, buy a breathable cover, and change the sheets at least biweekly.
In short, yes — this mattress delivers firm support and relieves pressure points. Thanks to the bottom high-density layer, the level of support is just great here. That’s why this mattress is a good choice for back sleepers and for stomach sleepers.
Yes, there is the chemical odor (because this mattress is made of memory foam and this material is manufactured using chemicals). However, most buyers say that it’s only a slight packaging order. Unpackage the mattress, let it air out, and wait for a few hours to get rid of the odor.